[GRLUG] Needed CentOS Apache Webserver Tech

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Fri Jan 23 12:05:52 EST 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 11:56 -0500, Rick Vargo wrote:
> On Jan 23, 2009, at 11:43 AM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> >> Do you know how to update a Thawte SSL certificate?
> > What's the issue?  Basically to "update" an existing certificate you
> > just replace the old one (cert & key pair) with the new ones, verify
> > the
> > permissions are the same, and bounce apache.  Or do you need help
> > renewing the cert in the first place?
> My guess is that he not a Linux/UNIX person. It is quite a learning
> curve is you don't know Linux or Apache (remember your first time?).

Sure, but I came from CP/M & assembly!  UNIX was like coming into the
promised land and being waited on by angels.  It had man pages!  The
other alternative was Windows for Workgroups.....  what more needs to be
said.

> How comfortable would you feel updating/upgrading say an AS400
> production system if you had no experience with it. While it would be
> fun to learn, you would have to be very careful about damaging a
> production system.

True.

Just pointing out that the task *is* very straight forward and with a
little direction really within a layman's reach (not meant to imply the
original poster is a lyman).