[GRLUG] Adware on Linux (Wine)?

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 16:07:34 EST 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com> wrote:
> While it should be obvious, it's worth noting that, due to the way
> WINE is implemented, it's pretty much its own sandbox.

Not really.  When using Wine, Win32 processes run as regular Linux
processes.  They need not respect the Win32 API.  It's a perfectly
valid thing for a Win32 process under Wine to make a syscall on Linux
and use normal *nixy file I/O, dynamically link a Linux library, or
frob the kernel in any other myriad ways.

It's not so much a sandbox as a wet paper bag.

(in all fairness, inter-process security is _not_ one of Wine's
focuses.  It's hard enough to make this stuff work in the first
place.)

--tim