[GRLUG] Coyote Linux Personal Firewall

Godwin godwin at grandrapids-lug.org
Fri Jan 2 15:47:25 EST 2009

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 2:49 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 2:44 PM, Joshua Burns <jdburnz at gmail.com> wrote:
>> unfortunately not, it's a pretty straight boot...
>
> Then my next approach would be to boot of a live CD, change the root
> password on the live CD, and copy the encrypted password from the
> liveCD's /etc/shadow to the machine's /etc/shadow and /etc/shadow- .
> I've done this a few times, though it might not work if the two
> distros use a different salt for the password hash. (Though, honestly,
> I've never encountered that barrier.)

Along the lines of booting with live CD, you could mount the partition
of Coyote linux (say, under /mnt/coyote), change root (# chroot
/mnt/coyote) to that part and issue the old "passwd" command which
will allow you to change Coyote Linux's password.  Exit once to go
back to the live CD and reboot as normal.  I've done that a few times
and it works fine.

If, however, this is a web-based password you're trying to change.
That may be another issue all together.  I hate to digress, but lately
I've been checking out m0n0wall and pfSense (based on FreeBSD).
Awesome little firewall/vpn distros.  I built a little Alix 2D3
board-based router and I'm quite impressed.  I also use FreeNAS...
;-)

http://www.pcengines.ch/alix2d3.htm

G-

(flames welcomed)