[GRLUG] Knoppix with mouse problems?

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 03:27:10 EST 2009

I tried V4.4.3 of DSL on the old hardware,
and the PS/2 mouse worked.  Alas, DSL is
still using the 2.4 version of the kernel, so I
expected as much.  Even V4.4.10 is using
version 2.4.31 of the kernel.

So far the only consistent theme is that a
distribution with a 2.4 kernel works on my
old motherboard, and one with a 2.6 kernel
does not.  This is just for fun, since the end
result would be a very limited system in any
case.  At most it's interesting to the extent
that "Linux" is embodied in the kernel, not
the endless apps that are hung on it. So
perhaps somewhere deep down the drivers
do not completely support the chipset in the
old motherboard?  As pointed out by someone
here,  PS/2 mice have been around for a long
time now, and are ubiquitous.

I can still try to see whether a USB mouse
works....

  -- Bob