[GRLUG] Installing Linux w/out CD Drive.

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Sun Feb 22 12:53:37 EST 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-20 at 23:07 -0500, Jason Kisner wrote:
> I need help doing this. I just recently got an ACER AspireOne with
> Linpus Linux Lite... Needless to say I'm less than satisfied with the
> system, and I want to put Ubuntu on it. (I'd like to get to the newest
> version, eventually) The thing is... it doesn't have a CD Drive (only
> a little over 8 inches wide. and no room for one.) How do I do this?

Use a USB CD drive,  they work very well and every modern BIOS can boot
from USB.  The CD/DVD drive in my laptop has been physically broken for
some time and I've done all my installs/upgrades (openSUSE) from a USB
DVD drive.  Specifically an LG "External Super Multi DVD Rewriter"
Model: GSA-E60L,  firmware version 1.00.   It also works great for
burning single and dual layer disks.