[GRLUG] Git 'philosophy'

Zach Dennis zach.dennis at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 19:32:01 EST 2009

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 11:18 AM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:
> Does anyone use Git in a consulting environment? Here is the situation:
>
>> I work from two or three different machines, and need to maintain a
> repository for my 'work'
>> There are other possible developers, so I have already setup a 'master'
> repository at the client.
>
> I had originally thought that having my OWN 'working' repository would
> allow me to share environments between office, laptop, & netbook, but git
> does not seem to like two repositories (at least I can't get it working).
>
> So, the question - is maintiaing a 'work' repository and a 'master'
> respository a valid topology?

You can have as many repositories as you want. Each repository will
typically have a *master* branch. It is very easy to create these and
share them. I've use http://www.github.com for a lot of opensource
stuff and I have private git repositories setup for personal and
company work.

You may want to take a look at: http://book.git-scm.com/

I've got to pack up and head out of town to finish the holidays with
the other side of the family otherwise I'd try to be a little more
helpful. Do you have any experience with CVS or SVN ? That may help
people who try to help you. If you're not stuck on get and some of
these mercurial guys have the time, I'd take them up on any offers to
get you up and running.

Last time I checked from a user's perspective using Git and Mercurial
is quite similar. There are a few terms used in each tool that have
opposite meanings IIRC, but if you're not used to one or the other
then you should be good either way.

Best of luck!

>        TIA,
>
>        Lee