[GRLUG] termcap-capable recording and controlled replay

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 17:54:55 EST 2009

I can run something akin to this:

$ mtr google.com > recording.txt

(wait a few seconds)
^C
$ cat recording.txt

...And if my terminal when executing the 'cat' is compatible with that
of when I ran 'mtr', and have the same terminal geometry, then I'll
see an insane-speed replay of the mtr run.

What I'd *like* is the ability of recording such output that
accomplishes three goals:
1) continue to operate in a terminal environment
2) time-aware playback features, such as seeking, rewind, fast forward, pause.
3) Awareness of TERMCAPS and conversion from the original recording's
terminal commands to compatible commands for the TERMCAPS of the
playback environment.

Is anyone aware of anything that accomplishes all three of these?
Avoidance of dependence on GUIs is important, as I frequently do
things remotely, and console environments tend to be the most reliable
and efficient for such purposes.  A tool that takes the place of the
'tee' command would be even better; I could still continue using the
console interface while doing the recording. STDERR would be extremely
tricky to capture in a pipelined environment, and not interesting
enough for my needs to be worth the hassle; It'd require piping
through a couple named pipes.