[GRLUG] GRLUG Potluck and Udev

Ben Rousch brousch at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 11:02:13 EST 2009

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 10:34 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 9:54 AM, Ben Rousch <brousch at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I had a great time at the GRLUG potluck last night. Thanks again,
>> Casey, for letting us take over your garage!
>>
>> Someone asked a question about disabling a device that had been
>> activated by udev, and I don't remember a conclusive answer
>> being reached. This interesting article [1] showed up in my
>> feed reader today, and it has a little information about udev.
>> A little further reading courtesy of the Arch Linux wiki [2]
>> makes me think that disabling the device after it has already
>> been detected and running would require a device-specific
>> command. Now you could prevent it from loading in the first
>> place by using a udev rule, but I don't know that you can use
>> udev to actually cripple it afterwards.
>
> The general topic at that moment was the webcam built into laptops,
> and how could one effectively disable the webcam without physically
> removing or modifying the device.

There is a package for my EeePC that gives me a menu where I can
enable and disable the webcam, wifi, bluetooth, and SD card slot. You
can see a screenshot of it, and see the source code at [3]. I could
not get the git to clone, but there is a tarball available.

[3]  http://greg.geekmind.org/eee-control/