[GRLUG] GRLUG Potluck and Udev

Steve Romanow slestak989 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 10:10:44 EST 2009

On 12/23/2009 9:54 AM, Ben Rousch wrote:
> I had a great time at the GRLUG potluck last night. Thanks again,
> Casey, for letting us take over your garage!
>
> Someone asked a question about disabling a device that had been
> activated by udev, and I don't remember a conclusive answer being
> reached. This interesting article [1] showed up in my feed reader
> today, and it has a little information about udev. A little further
> reading courtesy of the Arch Linux wiki [2] makes me think that
> disabling the device after it has already been detected and running
> would require a device-specific command. Now you could prevent it from
> you can use udev to actually cripple it afterwards.
>
> [1] http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1416309
> [2] http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Udev

Consider how hotplugging works.  Could that be leveraged?  I bet this is
contained in HAL instead of udev.

Check out

[sromanow at proteus ~]$ hal-device --help
usage: hal-device [--help] [--add udi] [--remove udi] [udi]
Create, remove, or show HAL device. If no udi is given, shows all devices.
If udi doesn't start with a '/', '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/' is
prepended.
   -a, --add udi         Add new device.
                         Reads property list in 'lshal' syntax from stdin.
   -r, --remove udi      Remove device.
   -h, --help            Show this text.