[GRLUG] On the subject of version control, considering backups

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 16:25:28 EST 2009

For a while, I was backing Rosetta Code's database up to a git repo.
(With mysqldump options set up such that there would be one insert per
record per line)  I saw this as a way for finer-grained backups. It
worked rather nicely, for a bit.

The problem I ran into, though was that the git repo grew *fast*.
After only a few weeks worth of runs, I believe the repo was twice the
size of a raw dump, which was itself on the order of 700-800MB. I
wouldn't be able to keep up that pace; Disk isn't *that* cheap.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on possible practical abuses of SCV
systems for database and systems backups?