[GRLUG] Ideas

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 15:19:37 EST 2009

On 12/14/2009 3:10 PM, Casey DuBois wrote:
> I like Ben's idea and was also looking at PS2 or PS3.

FYI, The PS3 has photo and video slideshow capability built-in. I've
used it. They're also removing support for alternate operating systems
in newer (i.e. slim) models, though the latest firmware revisions for
the older models still have it.

> However the BEST option for me would be some sort of used
> computer/notebook with linux as this seems the only way that I could
> make a buck in the middle.

As an aside, it's interesting to note that VGA->Component video is a
matter of wiring, Component->SVideo is a simple matter of wiring, and
while I don't know the internal details of SVideo->Composite, such
adapters can easily be had new for about $20.

Ergo, it shouldn't be difficult to create a mechanically and
electrically simple VGA->Composite adapter.  With the right modelines in
your X config, anything with a VGA port could plug into an NTSC TV with
Composite, S-Video or component input.

Likewise, anything with a DVI or HDMI port can connect to an HDTV, as
HDMI and DVI are electrically compatible.