[GRLUG] Open source design tools

Steve Romanow slestak989 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 13:42:01 EDT 2009

Casey DuBois wrote:

> I have a question for you. So I'm the citizen journalism coordinator for The
> Rapidian, a hyperlocal journalism project, and we're installing open source
> design tools on our computers. We want to link to tutorials on open source
> design tools but none of us really know these particular tools. As the
> organizer for one of the Linux groups, do you know of any good, free online
> tutorials or could you put that question to your group? We're launching on
> Sept. 15 and are trying to compile a page of resources together before then.
> The tools we're installing are:
>
> - Jing for screencasting
> - Gimp for Photoshop
> - Audacity for audio
> - Blender to replace After Effects (full 3D environment)
> - Inkscape for Illustrator

Denise,

I do not have a lot of experience with this, but one of the podcasts I
listen to (Linux Outlaws) was just bemoaning Audacity eating their file
and they lost some work.  Just as a safety measure, I would make a copy
and edit your copy so you can always get back to a safe state.

For open source tutorials, I liek ShowMeDo.com.  There may be good info
their on best practices for  screencast creation.  Just as a cursory
check, they had 18 Inkscape tutorials.

HTH,

Steve