[GRLUG] Taking A Deep Breath

Erik Southworth erik.southworth at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 16:13:50 EDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 11:55 AM, Edward Crawford
<ecrawford at ejccompany.com>wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Thanks for all of your feedback regarding my query on upgrading Firefox. In
> reviewing the responses, it seems that it might help if I define my goals in
> further exploring the Linux platform. I have been developing apps in the
> Windows world for 10 years... mostly Visual Basic & SQL server (I hear the
> moans going up from the crowd :-). I'm currently studying Java & I want to
> set up several PCs, network them, use one as a Tomcat server & work toward
> using open source tools for developing scalable applications (web based). I
> took a couple of C++ courses & have been working on getting my head around
> object oriented languages.

You might like BlueOnyx, a ready-made CentOS, Tomcat, webhosting platform:
http://www.blueonyx.it/

> Needless to say, I'm feeling pretty frustrated with my inability to update
> a program. I'm willing to study what I need to in order to have a solid
> understanding of the Linux platform, but I'm not sure where to start. Any
> links, books, sources & suggestions will be VERY much appreciated.

There is no single authority of documentation. The http://tldp.org/ is the
best first reference.
This site indexes what's available on the
web:http://www.makelinux.net/reference

The Rute manual is old but is still a nice newbie
Ref:http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz

Learning Linux is different than learning a Distro. I believe something
closer to Linux-From-Scratch <http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/> like
Slackware <http://www.slackware.com/> is better for learning Linux. I'm
thinking of exploring the new v13 x86_64 release.

I enjoy http://www.foresightlinux.org/. It's a great *mostly* ``just works``
Desktop system and eliminates most of the Distro gripes that seem to echo on
this list. It always has the latest FireFox. The main Java platform on
Foresight is the free Icedtea java, but it's trivial to switch to SunJDK.
http://forum.foresightlinux.org/index.php?topic=42.0

> Thanks again,
>
> ejc

-Erik S