[GRLUG] Upgrading Firefox

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Thu Aug 27 13:49:34 EDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-08-27 at 12:43 -0400, Edward Crawford wrote:
> Hi Folks,
> My name is Edward & my brother sent me an IBM thinkpad with Linux Suse
> 10.1 loaded.

10.1?!  Your distribution is antique,.

> It has Firefox 1.0 on it and I'm trying to update to the newest
> Firefox so I can do google docs via browser. I've tried using the
> utility "Yast" to do an upgrade to my box but it doesn't find the
> repository & I can't see where to go to resolve this.

And you won't be able to.  You are asking the equivalent of pulling
updates for Microsoft 98 or NT.  10.1 is long since unmaintained.

To go from FF 1.0.x to 3.5.x is a major upgrade. I image you'll have to
grab a TGZ from somwhere [and that very well might not work due to how
old all your libraries are] or upgrade your distribution.  Mozilla
repositories are available for openSUSE back to 10.3, but not for 10.1
<http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/mozilla/>

The current version of openSUSE is 11.1

OpenGroupware developer: awilliam at whitemice.org
<http://whitemiceconsulting.blogspot.com/>