[GRLUG] Upgrading Firefox

topher at wcsg.org topher at wcsg.org
Thu Aug 27 12:58:32 EDT 2009

> My name is Edward & my brother sent me an IBM thinkpad with Linux Suse
> 10.1 loaded. It has Firefox 1.0 on it and I'm trying to update to the
> newest Firefox so I can do google docs via browser. I've tried using the
> utility "Yast" to do an upgrade to my box but it doesn't find the
> repository & I can't see where to go to resolve this. I'm pretty new to
> linux & finding a concise answer to my questions on how to do simple
> things isn't so easy or available. I talked with Casey at Barcamp & he
> said you all are a great source.

For a variety of reasons I tend not to use the Firefox that comes from my
distro.  You can simply go to mozilla.com and download the tarball, unpack
it someplace, and make your menu items and icons point to it.

Because I'm a slacker who doesn't care about proper system structure, I
tend to keep mine right in my home dir.

They're using tar and bz2 these days, so once you get the file, do this in
the terminal:

tar xvjf firefox-3.5.2.tar.bz2

Then inside the new dir it makes you'll find a file called "firefox".  You
can point your menu items and icons at that.

Topher