[GRLUG] OT, but GPS, anyone?

Collin Kidder adderd at kkmfg.com
Wed Aug 26 12:28:04 EDT 2009

Hmm.. First off, I suppose I should suggest that it's a lot easier to
just get a magnetic compass chip that will point you toward magnetic
north. If the stationary piece of equipment is truly stationary then you
can then correct for the offset from magnetic north from true north
according to the position on the Earth. Of course the magnetic pole
isn't stationary so that might create too much uncertainty for you.
You'd have to try to occasionally recalibrate. It's a lot cheaper and
easier option than dual GPS though.

But if that doesn't do it for you then I suppose the absolute minimum
spacing is the GPS resolution which is normally 1 meter. Anything under
that and gps positional uncertainty will overtake your sample accuracy.
It would be best to space at least twice the GPS resolution but the
farther apart the two points are the better your accuracy.