[GRLUG] Incoming mail problem

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Sat Aug 22 11:11:13 EDT 2009

Got a WEIRD problem with a Perl script parsing incoming email! Without
going in to too much detail [postfix 2.5.1], ..

I created a Perl script that receives incoming email via system alias;
it works fine, parsing an incoming email and matching a target string in
the email (a URL in the email).

Problem is, when I test with an email from a *local* server, it works;
when the email is received from an 'outside' server (the live input) IT
DOES NOT MATCH THE STRING!

I can forward the email received from the 'outside' server to the script
again, AND IT WORKS JUST FINE when received from either that local
machine, or one of our normal mail servers.

When receiving email from the 'outside' server, it does reach the process
script, .. just does not match the test string!

Question - is there any possible way that email arriving from an
'outside' server could be processed differently? Is there any way that the
encoding, for example, be different between an outside server and one
internal?

Any thoughts would be appreciated, ..

	Lee