[GRLUG] gmailfs question

peyeps at iserv.net peyeps at iserv.net
Sat Aug 22 08:52:04 EDT 2009

Here is a radical suggestion.  Install Thunderbird.

In gmail, under settings, you will find a heading forwarding and POP.

You can set either POP or IMAP as active.

Thunderbird will handle either protocol.

Thunderbird will work on Linux, Windows and Mac.  I have it installed on
both by Windows and my Linux and both point to a local folder on a fat32
file system that is accessible to both.

If you want, can set it to leave files on the server, or delete them after
downloading.   Also, using IMAP, you can simply use Thunderbird as an
email reader, leaving files on the server, and not putting them in a local
folder.

Thunderbird will give you the ability to search for files based on size.
This may be what you want.  For examples, if I search for mail with size >
10000, I get one hit, and the only thing in the email is an attachment.