[GRLUG] Net-top as server?

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 15:11:15 EDT 2009

Bob Kline wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 2:55 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com
> <mailto:mikemol at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Bob Kline wrote:
>
>      >
>      > One could get or borrow a Kill-A-Watt and
>      > take it along.  Cyberguys carries them.
>
>     Always a good idea, but remember that power consumption depends a great
>     deal on workload.
>

> Good point.  Is there a standard load
> program that one could use to exercise
> the machine?  Make as many elements
> of the CPU huff and puff as possible,
> and maybe get the hard drive(s) to do
> the same by reading and writing lots of
> small files?
>
> Something where one could take along
> a copy of something like Knoppix and
> the program and give it whirl?

All sorts of benchmark tools will accomplish stressing one component or
subsystem or another.

I don't think it's wise to base ones purchasing decision on an
all-around benchmarks, though, if you already know what the machine's
workload is going to be.  Plan the hardware for the workload, or you'll
spend more than you need to.