[GRLUG] gmailfs question

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 10:19:23 EDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 8:24 AM, Steve Romanow <slestak989 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Bob Kline wrote:
> > I have just over 21,000 messages,
> > which is about 3.3GB out of an
> > allocated 7.3GB.
> >
> > Leading me to ask just what mounting
> > does.  If I want to do a backup I presume
> > I have to actually make a copy to a local
> > directory.  i.e., I've mounted a file system
> > on Google's machine.
> >
> > Re POP,  I'm game,  but will have to ask
> > you for a small word salad about how to
> > do it....
> >
> > Re FUSE,  the man page for mount.gmailfs
> > does mention that the kernel must support
> > the FUSE file system.
> >
> > But nothing more....
> >
> >     -- Bob

> >> How many emails are in your account?  It's possible it bumped up
> >> against some resource limit internal to the userspace component of the
> >> FUSE filesystem.  I'd have to look at the source code.

> >> No idea...

> >> I keep a home backup of my GMail account via POP.  If you were to do
> >> something like that, you could see the email sizes that way as well.
> >> (I'm not saying using FUSE is a bad idea, mind you, just offering an
> >> alternate approach.)
> >>
> >> --
> >> :wq

> I use Tbird via imap for my gmail and I can view size data.  With the
> large size of your data, first sync could be painful, but likely doable.

My original goal was to simply be
able to look at the gmail files with
the objective of eliminating very large
ones - typically those with a number of
large images, or things like wmv files,
which can chew up storage space rapidly.
I'm actually comfortable with the notion
of Google storing and backing up the
material, but, unlike Yahoo mail, for
example, gmail does not offer anything
like a concept of unlimited space - just big
for starters.  So I just wanted to be able
to see the file sizes, which Yahoo mail
does display.  I could just look for the
little clips signifying attachments, but
was hoping for something faster.  With
the file system mounted it could have
been much faster to find them with a
simple bash script.

I'm still curious about the error message
saying out of space, and in digging around
find I'm not the first to encounter this.  So
that's still an open issue, if not a very
urgent one.  Maybe someone with less
than 21K messages can try to mount the
gmail file system and see if the same thing
happens.

BTW,  Comcast is now showing two more
tiers of service.  "Ultra," which is nominally
22 Mbps down, and 5 mbps up.  Then there
is the "Extreme" service with 50 Mbps down,
and 10 Mbps.  I've checked for my area,
zip code 49508, and it simply says "coming
soon."  Anyone find it available in their area?

One can only imagine what these will cost.....

    -- Bob