[GRLUG] A strategy for Windows, Linux and thin client.

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 14:16:00 EDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 1:53 PM, <peyeps at iserv.net> wrote:
> I've had Nautilus die, but it just re-starts, it doesn't need a hard
> reboot to recover.

And, like I said earlier, Explorer doesn't, either.  Screen blankings
aren't part of the behavior associated with network-related stalls.

> Linux just handles the network much better than Windows in my personal
> opinion.   If I shut off my wireless, and look for a page, I get the
> server un-available message.  Turn it back on and refresh the page and
> usually it comes up immediately.  When running Windows, if I turn off the
> wireless, and  open a page and get the server not available, then turn the
> network on, there is a possiblity that Windows will try to re-establish
> the connection.  Usually I have to display networks before it re-connects.
>  Even then, refreshing the web page does not give me the page.  I have to
> shutdown the browser and re-start it before the communications are
> re-established.

You've never had a system hang on shut down because of a borked NFS
mount, have you?

> It just seems to me that Linux handles networking on a more basic level
> than Windows.
>
> Also, Windows likes to lock files so you can't read them.   I don't know
> how many times I try to do something to be told that an application has
> that file locked, with no way of determining what is locking that file.
> Sometimes even with all applications closed, it is till locked and the
> only way to free it up is to re-boot.

That's largely because of NT's VMS roots.  It's a different design
decision.  Annoys me, too; It's really irritating when you have an app
that creates and destroys lots of small files, and Google Desktop
Search opens and is still examining the file when you go to open it
back up.

> Why do I use it?   The same reason a heck of a lot of other people use it.
>  There is an application necessary for work that is only available on
> windows.

I can't argue with that.  What I can say is that your operating system
is a complicated piece of software, and, as I've already mentioned, it
requires regular maintenance.