[GRLUG] A strategy for Windows, Linux and thin client.

peyeps at iserv.net peyeps at iserv.net
Thu Aug 13 13:53:36 EDT 2009

I've had Nautilus die, but it just re-starts, it doesn't need a hard
reboot to recover.

Linux just handles the network much better than Windows in my personal
opinion.   If I shut off my wireless, and look for a page, I get the
server un-available message.  Turn it back on and refresh the page and
usually it comes up immediately.  When running Windows, if I turn off the
wireless, and  open a page and get the server not available, then turn the
network on, there is a possiblity that Windows will try to re-establish
the connection.  Usually I have to display networks before it re-connects.
 Even then, refreshing the web page does not give me the page.  I have to
shutdown the browser and re-start it before the communications are
re-established.

It just seems to me that Linux handles networking on a more basic level
than Windows.

Also, Windows likes to lock files so you can't read them.   I don't know
how many times I try to do something to be told that an application has
that file locked, with no way of determining what is locking that file.
Sometimes even with all applications closed, it is till locked and the
only way to free it up is to re-boot.

Why do I use it?   The same reason a heck of a lot of other people use it.
 There is an application necessary for work that is only available on
windows.