[GRLUG] A strategy for Windows, Linux and thin client.

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 19:04:51 EDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 6:41 PM, Ryan Pusztai<rpusztai at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 10:28 PM, Michael Mol<mikemol at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 10:15 PM, Adam Tauno
>> Williams<awilliam at whitemice.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> RDP also supports a variety of things VNC doesn't from sound, to file
>>> transfer, to dynamic resolution changes.
>>
>> TightVNC and UltraVNC support host filesystem browsing and file
>> transfer, and TightVNC, at least, has done so for the past two years.
>>
>> VMWare Workstation also has a built-in VNC server.  Interestingly
>> enough, VMWare Workstation's "record session video" feature appears to
>> merely act as a VNC client and record the stream into an AVI
>> container, and they provide a DirectShow filter that plays back these
>> AVI files.  I mention this primarily because VMWare supports resizing
>> guest OS display sizes, and those resizes are reflected in the
>> protocol stream; In short, the VNC protocol is, at least, *capable* of
>> supporting desktop resizings.  TightVNC clients abort with an
>> "Unsupported packet type" error when the resize occurs, though.
>>

>>> The state of VNC is just sad;  there has basically been zero progress
>>> since AT&T ash canned the project.
>>
>> The protocol appears to be extensible, and folks like TightVNC and
>> UltraVNC have moved it forward.  It's nowhere near as fast as RDP,
>> though, and I doubt audio streaming has been added as yet.
>>

> Is there a RDP server for Linux?

Oddly enough, I hadn't thought to look.  However, apt-cache search rdp
turns up xrdp, and this is what apt-cache show has to say about it:

shortcircuit at cheshire~
19:02:36 $ apt-cache show xrdp
Package: xrdp
Architecture: i386
Version: 0.4.0~dfsg-9
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.4), libpam0g (>= 0.99.7.1), libssl0.9.8 (>=
0.9.8f-5), adduser
Recommends: vnc4server | tightvncserver | vnc-server
Filename: pool/universe/x/xrdp/xrdp_0.4.0~dfsg-9_i386.deb
Size: 209060
MD5sum: 63c50e5fa0928da8601e4faa67c8c254
SHA1: f971ecc15c871f6cc7608344c8804a3c687d2e90
SHA256: e9d0ea6935f0c0cdb9bd509aab6aeabad9115e5608e932192178f2898f413880
 Based on research work by the rdesktop project, xrdp uses the Remote
 Desktop Protocol to present a graphical login to a remote client.
 xrdp can connect to a VNC server or another RDP server.
 .
 Microsoft Windows users can connect to a system running xrdp without
 installing additional software.
Homepage: http://xrdp.sourceforge.net
Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
Origin: Ubuntu