[GRLUG] Is Sun Solaris on its deathbed?

Ben DeMott ben.demott at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 17:08:26 EDT 2008

ZFS - How big do you have to get before GFS, LVM2 becomes prolematic?

Amway (Alticor) here in MI uses alot of AIX for DB2 and Oracle stuff -
Corporations need a solution that is marketed and comes with a suit.

ZFS is cool, but it really only matters for the 0.1%

I agree with the point, and would add - It sometimes frustrates me when
people say "Bladecenter ... bla bla bla, (enterprise technology)" - I don't
need or want a proprietary blade center, I hate my proprietary 2u servers
enough - 91% of the companies out there are SMB's - Most SMB's are 10 or
less servers.

I look at some of the Sun as being this way about Solaris in some ways -
they haven't incorporated enough of the new and useful technologies to make
it worthwhile to people like me.  Solaris is the Remedy of the *nix world to
me.

Server Hatred Story #1:
Broken Optiplex Motherboard - attempting to restore raid array, Dells
solution: Buy an identical Optiplex.
Server Hatred Story #2: A Single HP Proliant refuses to boot without
bypassing a warning screen indicating a fan has failed.  In fact no fan has
failed or fallen below rpm range - the zone sensor has failed - to replace 1
diode, you must replace 8 fans, and a circuit board.
After several calls to HP and a week going by, I have the new part, install
it .. fixed.

Sometimes I just want to burn my server room down, gather a bunch of crappy
tiny dell boxes have them scattered about and not care what happens to my
hardware - I really think in the long run that would be more efficient/cost
effective than the headaches of Vendor Lock-in.

The other thing I run into a lot, is people think they need to upgrade
technologies, when they just aren't using the technology they have correctly
or to its potential.

My Cad designers always complained of slow file access - when I started at
company their switch architecture (of daisy chaining 1gb backplanes) left a
total backplane of 2gigabits/sec across the entire 140 workstations.
Nevermind the fact that purchasing a $700 all Gigabit switch with a
96gigabit backplane fixed the problem - they wanted to upgrade all of the
$1200 100mbit Adtran switches. (sigh)