[GRLUG] Broken Video Drivers / I'm a PC

Ben DeMott ben.demott at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 15:15:52 EDT 2008

So the other day Fedora prompted me that their were 7 security updates.
Fedora lacks a much needed mechanism to force it to ignore certain updates
permanently, so I usually update just to pacify the update warnings (what a
Windows thing to do).

One of the security updates (no idea which one) broke my video driver, which
I didn't realize right away but became apparent when hardware accelerated
programs wouldn't start.
What things can break a video driver - besides updating your kernel? How can
I attempt to prevent this in the future?
Is there any reason to use the (Fedora) Livna driver binary/repository over
the Nvidia installer (which works very well) directly from their site?

We need a new word for PC that is disambiguous to Microsoft - any ideas?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkZdkHylJ3w