[GRLUG] Debian / HDD Install Linux?

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Fri Sep 19 20:00:17 EDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 06:34:16PM -0400, Ben DeMott wrote:
> (yes sorry I missed the 'install' argument in my command line statement, a
> thousand apologies)

Actually my reply was focused more on the name of the app (tuxracer vs.
extremetuxracer).

> I will have to try out Debian in vmware or something... Only reason I shy
> away is I have had Nvidia driver grief with Ubuntu, although that may have
> been Nvidia's problem.

I had no problem installing nVidia's binary driver when I ran Debian on
a desktop (alas, my laptop has Intel).

> I believe the default desktop environment is still Gnome - Anyone using
> compiz fusion and emerald for their desktop manager in Debian? - that would
> convince me to switch.

Compiz works on my laptop, but I run e17 and care little for eyecandy.
:-)  I am not sure about the "fusion" part (how is it different?) and
have never heard of emerald.

> As for the HDD install -->
>
> " I removed the HD, put it into my
> Thinkpad, installed Ubuntu, and put the HD back into the tablet."
>
> I tried installing the operating system itself as Ben Rousch suggested
> (thanks Ben - good name)
> And I so intelligently wasn't thinking about the fact that the installer
> would create a mount point for the physical drive as /dev/sda (because I had
> it connected through usb) -- So when I swapped the hard disk back into the
> laptop grub complained it couldn't find /dev/sda - because /dev/sda was now
> /dev/hda
> I'm don't know enough about grub or the underlying system to know what would
> need to be changed to point grub back to /dev/hda ?
> Would the grub conf just need to be edited or anything to do with initrd
> need to be changed? or is it not worth it, and I should figure out another
> way?
> I'm sure it can be done after all, everything is just > files
> :)
>
> Thanks in advance!

Again, the beauty of GRUB is you can edit it on the fly.  When the GRUB
menu pops up, press `e' for edit and change the line from sda to hda.
--
john-thomas
------