[GRLUG] 64 bit Linux and CPUs

Jeff DeFouw jeffd at i2k.com
Mon Sep 8 00:30:02 EDT 2008

On Sun, Sep 07, 2008 at 11:10:41PM -0400, Alan J Abma wrote:
> I would assume there would be 3 /home, 3 /, and 3 swap partitions on the
> machine. Both Grub and Lilo "should" be able to handle that, not?
> As long as I keep track of where all the /boots are and what files are called.
> The respective fstabs could give access to the other /homes, calling then by
> different names for each OS, or am I wrong.
> I'm starting to wonder, as I am an eternal newbie, if this would be biting off
> more than I can chew.
> I'm not going to try to install any Microsoft stuff on the machine.

swap partitions can be shared, as long as the OS's are compatible, or
you reinit the swap partition during boot (swap init is fast).

Unless you have reason to keep them separate, /home can probably be
shared as long as you keep your binaries separate.  You'd have to watch
out for native plugins that way.

I've never used more than 4 partitions, so I don't know how well that
works.  If every OS supports LVM, that may be the best way to go.

--
Jeff DeFouw <jeffd at i2k.com>