[GRLUG] kill switches

Erik Southworth erik.southworth at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 22:25:41 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 6:23 PM, John Harig <radiodurans at yahoo.com> wrote:

> After reading about kill switches on iphones now google seems to have one
> as well, and this article tries to explains why it is a good thing:
>

> http://www.pcworld.com/article/152383/why_androids_kill_switch_is_a_good_thing.html
>
> Are kill switches a good thing? If android is open-source, does that mean
> you can clearly see how the kill-switch works?
>
> Im a little wary of kill switches being installed on my personal devices.
>  At least google openly admitted it . . . but should it even be there in the
> first place?

I think it's idealistically wrong. It seems akin to Tivoization, which has
always seemed odd to me that
it took the TiVo to realize what has always been the gaming console standard
way of market lock in.

I'm sure they use regionalism also to rape the less consumer protected
markets like DVDs do.

If it's an open computing device then I should be able to brick it and
install anything for any purpose from the OS to the apps and remove/replace
any chips I want. It's the right to tinker that game console makers always
have fought against with the modder community.

No using the Android as GPS tracker, monitor/snooper, or remote detonator
device for you.