[GRLUG] VMWare ESXi Was: Raid, LVM, and Cheap Storage

Ben DeMott ben.demott at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 22:37:49 EDT 2008

> Interesting, I though Exchange in a VM was pretty common.  At a recent
> tech expo in GR, hosted by Trivalent, it seemed like the majority of
> people had done it or were headed that way.  I talked to at least two
> who had virtualized Exchange.

It is fairly common, as I stated - A lot of people Virtualize exchange, and
as of Exchange 2003 SP2 - and that seems to be working well.
The reason I am holding off on 2008/2007 is two fold - First I'm curious to
see what changes are made in the first year/service pack, and I'm waiting to
upgrade network servers until we can go to an all 64bit infrastructure to
reap the benefits of a 64bit host and client architecture.
I can't speak to the technical reasons of exact negatives, other than the
fact that It's not really broken so I'm not going to change it quite yet -
its low on my priority list.
I know people are doing it and it's working correctly.

My friend who works at Alticor said they reviewed it, and decided against
virtualizing exchange 2007 - so there must be some compelling issues why not
to, I could ask him what the technical reasons were they decided against it
if you want.
Although Alticor is large enough it could be completely for political or
bureaucratic reasons.

I would be interested to hear  the reasons Bruce's consultant would cite for
not virtualizing exchange?

My statements of resource Load on exchange depend completely on your
organization and what services they use, and how many users they service,
you could have a very under utilized exchange server for all I know -
however on an average it is one of the more resource intensive applications
on any given business network, simply from the amount of data that is moved
around, and the connections / emails that are sent/received.
Per 1 email the average server receives 5.2 spam emails.

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 7:14 PM, Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam at whitemice.org