[GRLUG] VMWare ESXi Was: Raid, LVM, and Cheap Storage

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Tue Oct 14 12:48:33 EDT 2008

> >> VMware is great for combining old hardware, especially servers with
> >> low resource requirements (like Linux firewalls).
> > I've consolidated servers with high resource requirements. :)  So far
> > I'm nothing but impressed regarding performance; part because even
> > "busy" servers spend a fair amount of time idle and current servers have
> > *8* cores...
> It sounds great but I had a difficult time on their website in even
> determining what it runs on. From what I can gather it's extraordinarily
> picky about what it runs on. What good is a product that seems to run on
> three different machines? (Ok, I'm exaggerating but really the hardware
> requirements seem way too selective.) It sounds like you need a brand
> new server from only certain manufacturers and it had better have one of
> a very few CPU's, very few different NICs, etc.

I run ESX on several "unsupported" machines,  and it works OK.
Certifying machines is tedious and expensive so it is natural for the
list to be short.   The only thing I've seen that they specifically
dis-support is IDE which also makes sense;  ESX is an enterprise product
and most PATA/SATA devices cannot be guaranteed safe
<http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/SCSI_vs._IDE/SATA_Disks>.
Certification is such a guarantee, if your willing to live without
it....   Even my production *systems* are "unsupported",  the OEM
extended their own guarantee that the individual components were all
supported.