[GRLUG] Cloud computing is a trap, warns GNU founder Richard Stallman

Benjamin Eavey ben at eavey.com
Mon Oct 13 13:23:47 EDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 11:15 AM, Tim Schmidt <timschmidt at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 11:09 AM, Benjamin Eavey <ben at eavey.com> wrote:
>> Privacy issues notwithstanding, as long as I can export my files to
>> open formats (as you can with Google) and move them to wherever I
>> might need to go, I'm happy.
>
> You can today.  But you have no reasonably expectation that you will
> be able to tomorrow.  Unless you routinely export your document(s)
> after each change and archive them somewhere, an export feature is not
> an effective escape plan.

True.  However, I wouldn't be crushed if I lost everything out there,
so I'm willing to live with that.  Also, it looks like a few people
are coming up with ways to easily back up your Google Docs data and
dump it to local files en masse.  That should ease some people's
minds.

Different strokes for different folks.

-Ben