[GRLUG] Cloud computing is a trap, warns GNU founder Richard Stallman

Benjamin Eavey ben at eavey.com
Mon Oct 13 11:09:25 EDT 2008

> No,  cloud computing, unless handled *VERY* carefully is a bad idea.  It
> isn't about "web development" or "desktop development" at all.

I can see both sides of the argument.  Yes, cloud computing means
giving up control of your data to a third party, and yes, it means
you'll be locked into their particular solution...  uh, well, unless
you switch to someone else's solution.  There are a ton of them out
there.  Personally, as someone taking college classes at night and
using Google Apps to collaborate with other students in nearly every
one of my classes, I can't imagine living without cloud computing.
It's been a godsend.

Privacy issues notwithstanding, as long as I can export my files to
open formats (as you can with Google) and move them to wherever I
might need to go, I'm happy.  If I have really sensitive information
that I'm paranoid about, I just won't keep it on Google's servers.
For most of what I do, I'm comfortable having my data "out there" with
at least a basic privacy guarantee from the hosting provider.  It
suits my needs.

Other people, of course, have different needs and different levels of
sensitivity.  There should be room for all different kinds of
solutions, and cloud computing is a useful addition to the mix of
possibilities.  I'm not willing to demonize it.

-Ben