[GRLUG] DVD Rip Software Options

topher at wcsg.org topher at wcsg.org
Mon Nov 24 13:08:28 EST 2008

> Would anyone have a FOSS suggestion to rip my DVD's for viewing on
> iphone/ipod?

I've had mixed results with DVD::Rip.  It seems to do very well with
shorter clips, like cartoons, 30 min episodes, etc.  But when I try to do
a whole movie, it tells me my ETA is about 90 min or so, and then about 8
hours later it'll still be going, with an ETA of -690minutes or something.

HandBrake is a windows app that is supposed to work well, and is GPL.

Topher
Manager of Internet Services
Cornerstone University Radio

------
"...I'm a man of a curious mind. I read. I also listen and when interested,
I inquire. When a man is dedicated to the search for knowledge, he may
follow his quest down many strange paths."
                         -- Louis L'Amour