[GRLUG] OFF TOPIC Electric Car

Collin Kidder adderd at kkmfg.com
Thu Nov 20 15:29:11 EST 2008

First get together $15,000. That's partially a joke... But you really
probably should count on at least $5,000. It really depends on what
you'd like to do and how comfortable you'd be with building your own
circuits, frames, supports, etc. The more experience you have with
mechanical and electrical construction the less you'd need to buy and
the cheaper it could be.

I suppose that, if you had a good idea of what you were doing, you could
at least create a hybrid style drive for a couple thousand. It'll still
be upwards of 15k if you want a fully electric car.

The problem is that a fully electric car should have at the very least a
100HP motor. That alone could set you back $4,500. Add on top of that
batteries. Even if you use car batteries you could be looking at $50 -
$100 a battery. If you get 15 of them at an average $75/pc it's $1125.
Then you need motor control hardware. It can add up really quick.

Now, a hybrid could get by with something less. A high RPM 40HP motor
could work. This would run $1,500 or so. You'll still need a bunch of
batteries but maybe not as many. So let's say $700 for batteries. You're
still, then, looking at $2,200 just for those two things.

You can of course go cheaper by buying used. Right now presses are being
scrapped for their dead weight price. You could buy a press for maybe
$400  - $1000, take the motor, and scrap the rest to make most of your
money back.