[GRLUG] OFF TOPIC Electric Car

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 15:19:55 EST 2008

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 3:01 PM, Ben DeMott <ben.demott at gmail.com> wrote:
> It's unlikely Capacitors, or Batteries will ever become efficient storage
> mediums for energy - chemicals wear out, and the energy loss during transfer
> is quite great

The companies _already_ churning out supercapacitors as fast as they
can would kindly like to disagree.

Most supercapacitors use various exotic physical formations of carbon.
 They simply don't wear out - or wear at all.  And energy loss during
charging and discharge is ridiculously low.

>From here on out it's a straightforward game of making them bigger,
denser, and cheaper - all of which we (the electronics industry) are
very very good at doing.

--tim