[GRLUG] Comcast and blocking port 25 delivery

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 10:34:46 EST 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 10:21 AM, Greg Folkert <greg at gregfolkert.net> wrote:
> I'm *NOT* running a server. I cannot get anything delivered to my
> machine, At home.
>
> Comcast is also resetting my (numerous) SSH Sessions every once in a
> while. They also are profiling my data stream, I am flagged as a "HEAVY"
> user. Even though I have paid for "Comcast BLAST" I am getting singled
> out as I was told I came close the limit.

Comcast announced their transfer cap this summer.  A quick search
suggests it's 250GB per month.  That's only four and a half hours at
16MB/s to blast through your monthly quota.  If you need Comcast, you
should see if getting a business-oriented plan will get you around
your current cap.  If FiOS or the like is available in your area, you
should consider switching; I haven't heard of anyone getting kicked
off by AT&T or SBC for excessive usage.

> I did *ZERO* non-work related traffic. This includes... E-Mail, Doc
> sharing etc (through google apps), SSH Sessions, SCP transfers, VPN
> connections and just plain browsing to out front end app.

If it's all work-related, you may want to look into a business account.