[GRLUG] Desktop managers

Lee Forest lee8oi at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 20:37:39 EST 2008

I guess this is a bit off topic. I have an older computer, along with
it theres some rather odd performance issues with it. I'm running
ubuntu 8.10 and I know it comes with gdm, and uses gnome. But it seems
rather laggy. I've tried xfce to find an improvement in performance
only to be dissapointed with a few things feature wise. then ended up
running fluxbox. which of course definitly lacks a few things, but
also seems very simple, appealing, not to mention faster. But I
wouldn't mind finding a good combination of desktop manager/window
manager that would maximize my performance on this system. Anyone got
any good ideas? I have an intel celeron 700mhz, with 310 pc133 sdram
ram. doesn't even feel like a 700 mhz the way its running. a bit
better with flux box, but still some performance issues.