[GRLUG] The battle of the distros

Topher topher at curadio.org
Mon Nov 10 14:54:25 EST 2008

> On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 12:37 PM, Collin Kidder <adderd at kkmfg.com> wrote:
>> So, in the end I just could find no really good reason NOT to use Ubuntu
>> and it works just fine. Seems to me that maybe the arguments against it
>> are either old and expired or just based on Elitism. Correct me if I'm
>> wrong.
>
> A proper distro war thread! (Apologies to Topher for hijacking his
> SuSE thread...)

That's ok.  What I learned is that the HP2133 comes with a custom setup of
Suse that is VERY old (firefox 2.0.1, gami 1.5, etc) with no upgrade
packages available, and third party repos were promised to break
everything.

Total suckage.

So I got Minbuntu, which is built *specifically* for the hp2133, and
everything works swimmingly.  I think I like it better than my dell d630.

Topher
Manager of Internet Services
Cornerstone University Radio

------
"To scoff is...easy, but to go on in the way of scoffing and do what is right
is the way of a man."
                         -- Louis L'Amour, The Lonesome Gods