[GRLUG] The battle of the distros

Adam Tauno WIlliams awilliam at whitemice.org
Mon Nov 10 19:09:18 EST 2008

> >I'm curious what applications those would be?  I've used LINUX as my
> >primary desktop for a decade,  and I haven't had to compile an
> >application in years.  And I'm pretty sure I haven't built a kernel
> >in at least five years.
> (I'm going to pick on Slackware, because it's the distro I had the
> most shortcomings with, most of it was me being a noob, but some of it
> was the Distro. My frustration level went from a 10, back down to a 1
> after switching to Fedora - which was thought of as a more user
> friendly Distro at the time)

That isn't too surprising,  I wouldn't consider Slackware a "mainstream"
distribution.  If you want just-works, and not hacker panache, it is
best to stay within the three tribes: Debian (and its myriad
derivatives, including Ubuntu and its horde of derivatives), Redhat
(Fedora / CentOS) and SuSE (SLES / openSUSE).

> I remember using Slackware in highschool and having to compile a
> scientific calculator that I liked,

I remember it from college. :)  But that was back when I installed from
floppies or tape.