[GRLUG] The battle of the distros

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 12:50:05 EST 2008

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 12:37 PM, Collin Kidder <adderd at kkmfg.com> wrote:
> So, in the end I just could find no really good reason NOT to use Ubuntu
> and it works just fine. Seems to me that maybe the arguments against it
> are either old and expired or just based on Elitism. Correct me if I'm
> wrong.

A proper distro war thread! (Apologies to Topher for hijacking his
SuSE thread...)

I have two complaints about Ubuntu.

First, they deviate from standard packages and techniques.  Some of
their management applets don't interact well with standard
configuration files (Take network management as an example...).

Second, documentation for their proprietary* programs is sorely
lacking.  Which exacerbates my first complaint.

* When I say "proprietary", I mean "You wouldn't run that program on
anything else."  update-manager is proprietary. apt-get is not.