[GRLUG] Suse

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Mon Nov 3 18:31:05 EST 2008

> A new user installs  Debian / SUSE / RedHat / Ubuntu / etc and they
> what to share files with another windows computer. I don't think that
> they would have any idea about what samba is or want to touch it's
> configuration file wouldn't they just google "(distro) share files
> with windows"
> So my question is wh

No, because a new user doesn't have the background to determine if the
document they are looking at is current or correct.  There is a great
deal of out-of-date and simply wrong documentation,  I'd even guess that
the majority of the documentation retrieved by Google is bad.  This
includes to documentation in all the distro wikis (or whatever you call
them).

The user should go into YaST2 (or equivalent) and use the provided tools
to share the directory (setup the file server).   If the procedure for
doing *normal* things isn't obvious, or at least apparent with a little
poking, then the problem isn't insufficient documentation it is
inadequate tools.