[GRLUG] Choice of MB - Trouble Installing

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Sat May 31 22:29:15 EDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-05-31 at 20:20 +0000, rh90p at comcast.net wrote:
> What Motherboards do you run Linux on?  I have 3 ASUS machines that I
> have been unable to install any flavor of Linux on since SuSE 9.3.
> People I know from work are saying that they have been unable to
> install on their machines also.
>
> I have an ASUS A8V Deluxe 64bit dual core 3800+AMD w/ 3GB ram.  On
> that one Fedora 9 installer goes black screen just after I pick the
> keyboard type (in graphic mode).  In ran the installer in text mode
> and got a kernel panic in about the same place.
>
> I also have an ASUS CUV4X-DLS 32bit dual processor 1000 Intel w750MB
> and an ASUS P3V4X 32bit 600 Intel w/ 512MB ram.  The behavior varies
> but the result is that I can't install on anything I have using
> openSuSE 10.1 to 10.3, Fedora 8 to 9, Ubunto, etc.
>
> I am no newbie.  I've been running Linux at home since Redhat 6.2 (the
> first version that looed serious) and I was the Linux guru for an
> entire division of a large company.

Okay, quick question:

Have you used the same Optical reader and/or the Video Card for them
all?

I dealt with a man that said Linux would not load at all on any setups.
Turns out he was using the same Optical Reader (which had a sticky read
head in some places) and the same ATI Video card PCI card he took out of
his Windows machine that had issues in Windows as well.

Lesson here: Make sure you are using usable hardware.
greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Alternate Fingerprint: 455F E104 22CA  29C4 933F 9505 2B79 2AB2