[GRLUG] Actiontec external modem

Godwin geektoyz at gmail.com
Wed May 21 18:54:47 EDT 2008

I noticed on the link Joshua posted the user inserted kernel module
"pl2303".  I have a[n] USB-to-Serial adapter which uses the same
module and works like a charm.   See if you have that module.  It will
create some funky serial port like /dev/ttyUSB0 or something like
that:

find /lib/modules/2.6.* -name pl*

Which should turn up something like:

/lib/modules/2.6.20-16-server/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/pl2303.ko

then try to manually insert the module.  By the way, when you plug in
the modem, it really *should* have been loaded automagically (check
"dmesg" and "lsusb" like Joshua mentioned).

(as root): /sbin/modprobe pl2303   or   /sbin/insmod [full/path/to]pl2303.ko

then check your log:

tail /var/log/messages   or   tail /var/log/syslog   or   dmesg | tail

post what you see.

cheers,
G-

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 11:04 AM, John J Foerch <jjfoerch at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Jordan Hudson writes:
>  > I have an Actiontec external dial-up  modem that I would like to use with
>  > Fedora Core 9. The model is EX560LKU. It used to work just fine with just
>  > about every Distro I tried, but I took a break from linux for a while
>  > (couple years) and now Ubuntu, Fedora, Mepis, none of it will find my modem.
>  > It can connect with either Serial Connection or USB. Any help is
>  > appreciated.
>
> Hi Jordan,
>
>  A hardware modem connected over a serial line does not need a
> driver.  Here is a page I found helpful when setting up my external
> serial modem under debian.
>
>  http://www.aboutdebian.com/modems.htm
>
> --
> John Foerch