[GRLUG] List Moderation

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Wed May 14 22:22:44 EDT 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 10:04 PM, Adam Tauno Williams
<adamtaunowilliams at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Would anyone like to see a separate list, perhaps "chats at grlug.org"
>  > where we can digress a topic?  If we wish to move far off from the
>  > original post/request, we can simply Reply to original post, but send
>  > to the other list instead.  For archiving purposes, it should help
>  > those who google us searching for help from having to sift through
>  > tons of irrelevant posts.
>  > What do you guys think?
>
>  My experience managing other lists/forums is that this
>  post-to-other-list just won't happen.  At first it won't happen because
>  people won't remember or think of it,  later it won't happen because
>  people will learn that when they do do it that it breaks the flow of the
>  thread/conversation backing the post pointless.

This matches my list-administrating experience as well.  I'd also add
that the primary list would likely only get further fuddled with posts
of "chats@ is that way -->".  And then there's the whole problem of
newbies not knowing about it. (Seriously...who reads the greeter
emails?)