[GRLUG] FW: $849 - New IBM Thinkpad T61 Core 2 Duo Laptop 2.0GHz with DVD-R, WWAN, WiFi and Widescreen

David Pembrook david at pembrook.net
Wed May 14 13:09:27 EDT 2008

Casey DuBois wrote:

> This is the FIRST time I’ve ever seen an IBM Loaded and Licensed with
> SUSE Linux Enterprise Version 10.
>
> I was thinking about getting one but wanted to ask the list for input.
>
> Is anyone else running SUSE 10 on a notebook?
>
> Have you had any issues?
>
> Sincerely,
>
> /Casey M. DuBois/
>
> *N-VINT, Inc.*
>
> 3240 Hanna Lake Industrial Park Dr. SE, Caledonia, MI 49316
>
> 616-656-5500 Office
>
> *866-337-2686* Direct
>
> /AOL IM: *CaseyNVINT*/
>
> cdubois at n-vint.com <mailto:cdubois at n-vint.com>*//*

I pitched in once and bought 9.1 some time back. I've always found it to
have a nice install routine and a very nice out of the box experience.
For day to day professional use I think its a fine way to go. I only got
in trouble with it when I wanted all the eye candy with more recent
versions (10.x) and I'm sure others have had issues in their own area.
Another downside though is it seems slower than a nice lightweight
Debian desktop (I like speed). For (at least) the computer enthusiast
there are a lot of other choices.

I wind up back to openSuse when I want a nice out of the box experience
(install and go to work). I installed it on my 2 year old HP laptop and
everything worked but the wireless. I have some reading to do on that.
Other than my hardware issue, it installed clean along side Windows and
runs great.

just my 2 cents.

Dave