[GRLUG] List Moderation

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Wed May 14 11:17:42 EDT 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 8:55 AM, Justin Denick <justin.denick at gmail.com> wrote:
> We should really think seriously about list moderation. I don't who is
>  maintaining this server anymore,
>  but perhaps they might adjust the spam settings to discard any message
>  containing certain buzz words like
>  "top posting". We may even extend that to include messages that only
>  serve to discredit our lists' reputation and inflame
>  our attitudes. The moderator may then choose to suspend the
>  individuals' grlug account for a week or so.

The people on this list aren't children.  We don't need parenting.
And this list can't be everyone's personal heaven; Part of life is
dealing with people and topics that irritate you.

Yes, there are (at least two) people on the list who are the first
individuals to bring up hot-button topics that cause conflict. Yes,
there are several more who see that the topic's been raised, and then
dive in themselves.  But aside from the propensity for flaming, these
folks all have useful perspectives on Linux, or at least want to know
something about it.  Why else would they be on the GRLUG mailing list?

I don't want to see a list moderator; GRLUG is nobody's baby (except
perhaps Casey and Godwin), and nobody on the list has more of a right
to decide what a list member can say than anyone else.

Finally, I don't want to see people suspended for participating in
high-traffic or presumably off-topic threads; Had we had something
like that, there wouldn't have been many people left to answer my
question about 64-bit Linux last week.

My message to all the people that get up in arms over the hot-button
issues, and all the people that get up in arms about the hot-button
threads: Chill...I think we've already established that nobody's going
to win the argument.  At the very least, try not to be flagrantly
insulting about it.

Most of you guys are a lot older than me...Why do I feel like *I'm*
the one who has to come out and say this stuff?