[GRLUG] fax server

Godwin geektoyz at gmail.com
Mon May 12 23:59:34 EDT 2008

Alright, look for answer as bottom post...  ;-)

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 11:17 PM, George (Skip) VerDuin
<verduin at ameritech.net> wrote:
> I'm sorry Tim, neither...
>

>  On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 22:41 -0400, Tim wrote:
>  > > The server itself is on it's way to recycling, but could be diverted in
>  > > the next few days if it found a new home.  It includes a 16-port RS-232
>  > > interface that I have tried for years to find use for without joy.
>  > >
>  > >
>  > Is that rs232 card PCI or ISA.
>  It's the EISA bus interface -- very(?) rare today.
>  But then so is the Dell server...
>

>  >  I've been looking for one of those for
>  > while to control a set of servers without needing to mess with a kvm.
>  >
>  > Tim
>  > grlug mailing list
>  > grlug at grlug.org
>

> Warmest regards from here,
>  George

Yeah, I "recently" setup HylaFAX at work on some heavy iron - only
'cause I had nothing else to do with the box [dual 1Ghz cpu, 4gb ram,
6-disk 10k rpm raid, etc].  Like I said, heavy iron tough seriously
overkill.

Anyhoot, the email-to-fax gateway link previously posted was helpful
indeed.  There are two options I found.  Since OpenVMS couldn't work
with my first choice (send email to godwin at 5551212 and have the mail
server forward it to the fax server), I had to go with my second
choice (send email to 5551212 at fax.myintranet.lan and have the mail
server redirect it to the fax server based on the domain).

You can even route incoming faxes based on the sender's StationID,
convert to/from tiff/pdf and use a [gulp] Windows client to print/fax
from that other OS.  The most time consuming part of the whole thing?
Compiling drivers for those damn HSF, HCF and winmodems.  All junk!!!
I picked up a older, yet still shrink wrapped external modem, dug up
another old external modem from the junk pile and setup a dual-modem
server (one for incoming and the obvious other).

By the way, as I found out, just because you compile some drivers and
your modem works with "minicom" doesn't mean HylaFAX will like it.
It's somewhat finicky with what the device name "/dev/ttySOMEDEV" has
to be.  I couldn't get it to talk to funky device names with "_"
underscores in them.  Stick to external modems.  You can pick them up
for a song and a whistle at Comp Renew.  I whistled "Livin' La Vida
Loca" for mine.  ;-)

G-

--

Ubber::Geek