[GRLUG] Social norms

john-thomas richards jtr at jrichards.org
Mon May 12 18:09:12 EDT 2008

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 09:57:36AM -0400, Benjamin Flanders wrote:
> On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 3:27 PM, john-thomas richards <jtr at jrichards.org> wrote:
> > On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 11:09:23AM -0400, Benjamin Flanders wrote:
> >  > What is the social norm.  Isn't that where the normal is commonly
> >  > agreed upon?  Is placing responses interspersed throughout the e-mail
> >  > commonly agreed upon?
> >
> >  Wow.  How about breaking this "norm..."  You responded to a message in
> >  the middle of a thread, broke the thread (so my mail reader no longer
> >  knows this post is part of an existing thread), and changed the subject
> >  header even though the subject - while evolving - did not really
> >  change.  *That* makes an extended conversation difficult.
> >
> <Sniped stuff>
>
> I did all that on purpose.  The original conversation was about 64-bit
> linux.  I wanted to respond to a not-on-topic topic.  I changed the
> Subject Header because of that.
>
> I hoped to remove this conversation from the existing thread because
> the existing thread had a lot of great information about 64-bit linux
> and didn't want to sully it my meaningless drivel.  I wanted this to
> be in a whole new thread so those that want to follow the 64-bit
> question can without wading through this stuff.  History has shown
> that this topic can get heated and long winded.

That makes sense.  It is wacky that (as you mentioned in another post)
Google breaks threading on subject header.  I have never seen that
before.  I have seen mail clients that "thread" messages based on
subject, but never one that actually breaks the threading.  Bizarre.

> I thought I was doing a good thing.  I am sorry if I offended anyone.

Offended?  I cannot imagine how...
--
john-thomas
------