[GRLUG] Social norms

Benjamin Eavey ben at eavey.com
Mon May 12 10:49:28 EDT 2008

> Hackers consider that the best practice is actually to excerpt only
> the relevant portions of the parent message, then intersperse the
> poster's response in such a way that each section of response appears
> directly after the excerpt it applies to. This reduces message bulk,
> keeps thread content in a logical order, and facilitates reading.

To me, this is the most important thing.  Keep the replies clean!  If
replying, quote only the relevant parts of the conversation, and not the
entire thing.  It makes for a lot of scrolling to find the meaningful
bits, and in a long thread, that gets frustrating.  I'd rather see
what's being replied to, and then the reply.  Quick, easy, and simple.

Seems like there are several people who like to quote the *entire*
thread above their reply, headers and all.  To me, that doesn't help
with conversation flow.  It hinders things instead.

Just my two cents.

-Ben