[GRLUG] Social norms

Collin adderd at kkmfg.com
Mon May 12 10:40:59 EDT 2008

>> (I snipped out the references you gave)
>>
> and a bravo for that noting.
>
> [SNIP] works as well and most people know what or why.

Yes, and good for you for taking time out of your busy schedule to tell
me something so trite and meaningless.

>> Let me be brief rather than get into this all over again. There are more
>> important things to fight about. To each their own. All I'm asking is
>> that you at least try to keep an open mind and abide by those that have
>> different conventions than you.
>>

> Its not about YOU. Its about saving hours of other people's time trying
> to read this thread *AND* for posterity's sake of the archives being
> *READABLE*. For the archivists and people trying to read the particular
> 64-bit Linux thread... proper quoting and responses either in-line or
> bottom posting actually *SAVE TIME* and *READABILITY* actually increases
> many fold.

I have to disagree. Bottom posting is never any easier to read. Let me
give you an example of what bottom posting is like (and this should
remind you of the tortured logic that bottom posters use): Bottom
posting is like having someone tell you a story and ask you a question
afterward. And so you paraphrase the entire story and repeat the
question then answer it. They want to ask something else so they
paraphrase the original story and their question, and your answer and
then ask another question. Quickly this would be tedious. You don't have
conversations like that. At least I hope that you do not.

If you need to follow a thread the best thing to do is read it from the
start. This is the same with all conversations. If you butt into a
conversation after the fact you'll likely be missing some critical
details. Top posting keeps the replied to post around in case you missed
it which is akin to saying "quickly, this is what we talked about now
try to keep up."

And yes, when I read a forum archive I try to skip up to the top message
and follow down. This creates the greatest comprehension. And when doing
that bottom posting is terrible.

> Do you people that top post *EVER* think about anyone *BUT* yourselves?

Well, we probably don't spend quite the same amount of time that people
like you do complaining about meaningless posting standards. But, as I
mentioned above, your argument isn't really all that valid.

> I've kept to my own here mostly on this subject. I've been admonished by
> a few people to "Lighten up" so... as we can see I'm *BY FAR* not the
> only one that believes this.

Nor am I *BY FAR* the only one to hold the opposing view.

> You seem to follow *some* guidelines as it suites you... its almost like
> you are doing a Microsoft EEE (Embrace, Extend, Extinguish) tactic here.

Ah yes. The tried and true tactic of bringing up the MS card when your
arguments start to run into trouble. Now, all you need to do to achieve
perfection is bring up some form of the scarecrow argument.

And, as I've already said, I DONT CARE. Bottom post if you want. I don't
like it but I'll do it to make you happy and I'll understand when you do
it. It's you bottom posting zealots that can't see any other way of
doing things or anyone else's reasons for why they don't feel as you do.